The best way to attract great candidates to your role is to make sure you craft a great Ad. While it’s important to include a basic outline of the role, it is more important to make the position sound interesting and better than the next job. You want the best candidates to choose from.
Ads that are ineffective and unappealing are those which contain little detail and no sense of you at all
eg: “Cleaner needed Newport. Mondays 4 hours. $22 an hour.”
While it’s short and to the point it also sounds as interesting as watching paint dry. No-one will apply for this Ad! Taking the time to write an engaging Ad will make all the difference.
- a title, eg., ‘Terrific Cleaner’ or ‘Nanny Caulfield’
- the days and specific hours
- whether you have any level of flexibility on days and hours
- the rate of pay, generally per hour or per week
- this is where you can separate your job from the masses – stand out!
- an over view of the duties of the role
- a description of a typical day working for you
- the qualities you are looking for in the successful candidate
- why this is a great role and why candidates should apply
Example Housekeeping Ad:
Part Time Housekeeper – Mosman
We are a busy professional couple with no kids but two in door dogs.
We require a Housekeeper on the following days:
- Monday 10am-2pm
- Wednesday 10am – 12 noon
- Friday 9am-4pm
We are flexible with the actual hours – provided they fall between 9am and 5pm.
Your duties will include:
- a full clean of a 2 story house, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
- generally keeping the house tidy
- supermarket shop each week
- walking the dogs
- changing the bed linen and towels
- all washing and ironing
- decluttering then maintaining the pantry, fridge and cupboards
You will be reliable and efficient and used to running a household. Attention to detail is important, and we ideally want someone who can come in and take control of the house.
We are an easy going couple and we would love for you to stay with us long term. The hourly rate is $22-25 an hour, negotiable for the right candidate.
Example Nanny Ad
After School Carer – Mosman
We are a family with 3 school age kids in need of a loving after school carer:
- Monday – Wednesday 3.15pm-7pm
- Thursday-Friday 3.15pm-5.30pm
We are not flexible on these days or times, so please only apply if you are available.
Your duties will include:
- picking up the kids from school
- preparing afternoon tea
- setting up kids to do home work
- some driving to after school activities
- preparing a basic meal for the family
- generally keeping the house tidy (no heavy cleaning required)
You will be reliable, happy, kind and young (or young at heart) and looking for a long term position. The children (2 boys and one girl) and active, energetic kids, so someone with a lot of energy is preferred.
A typical day will see you collecting the kids and then going to tennis lessons for the older two while having a hit of tennis with the youngest, followed by homework and a snack. The oldest will need some help with his homework. Followed by a game together, then the kids can help you prepare dinner. The kids are great – easy going, friendly and engaging.
The hourly rate is $25 an hour. Immediate start.”
Take an extra 5 minutes to put some thought in to your Ad will make a real difference. If you need any help or have any questions call Kate at BaM on 0437100877.